Thursday, August 19, 2010

Summer's End

Here it is, the middle of August, and the evenings are started to cool down considerably. I find myself tuning off the AC and wrapping myself in an afghan as I sit and read or watch the telly. But then morning comes and by mid-morning the heat begins once more. It is Mother Nature's way of reminding me that I live in Wisconsin and our warm seasons are short but sweet.

This summer was strange with periods of very hot weather, followed by torrential rains. My grass has  never had to be mowed as often as this summer required. And don't even get me started on the mosquito population explosion that was seen toward the end of July and continues this month. As noted in previous blog entries, the insect world and I have an ongoing feud and our worlds have collided more than normal this summer.

Bees, flies (both house and fruit) spiders, lady beetles, earwigs, ants, and mosquitoes have taken up squatters rights around my house. Right now a spider has erected a giant web across the back of my car from antenna to a bush along the drive. He persists in redoing it daily so I imagine he finds that all of my other squatters offer him excellent hunting.

In addition to the insect world, I have several gophers who have made their hole between the paving stones of my front walk and a warren of rabbits that make my yard their own. At night  I discover the presence of a somewhat unwelcome prowler, Mr Skunk, and I tend to let him go about his hunt without too much interference.  With the end of summer some of these fellow inhabitants of this property will move away but I ask myself what will take their place? 

No comments:

Post a Comment