Monday, October 11, 2010

Think Pink

Breast cancer used to be a word that was rarely spoken of without some sense of dread. It was like hearing a death sentence being handed down. Now it has become a word that is tagged with pretty pink bows as more and more this type of cancer is diagnosed early enough for successful treatment. More and more survivors are out there to tell their story.

I am one of those women. The diagnosis was first given when I was in my early forties. I had yet to have gone in for the recommended baseline mammograms so I was fortunate. My symptom was a simple tingle across the nipple when fabric rubbed and it was not a pleasurable tingle but one that was a daily irritant. I finally mentioned it when seeing my physician for something completed unrelated. Luckily for me, he insisted that it was time for me to have that mammogram and it showed a small tumor lying just behind the nipple. A tumor that I would not have found by self-exam until it had grown much larger. A simple surgery and biopsy confirmed the diagnosis and treatments began. Six weeks of chemo and three years of follow-up care until another tumor was found and again I went through treatments. It has now been over ten years without any further evidence of its return so I call myself a survivor but I have learned to be more careful with my health. I adhere to the prescribed, age appropriate exams.

So wear your Pink and support the cause of cancer research but don't forget to take care of yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment