Sunday, November 28, 2010

There's A Monster In The House

The above title is also the title of a children's song that I have listened to a lot recently with Sol.It is one of his favorites. I was reminded of the song the other night as I sat here at the computer. I was alone and for once there was no music playing as I attempted to get some writing done. Several times my concentration was broken by a faint noise that I quickly attributed to a car passing by the house. Some time passed before my concentration was again broken by a noise and this time it was clear that this was not coming from outside the house and that it was not mechanical in nature. It was a sort of snorting, squeaking, and heavy breathing sound. I tried to ignore it and get on with my task but this was not to be. Finally I got up to go investigate. I climbed the stairs, moving toward the now growing louder sound and when I reached the top of the stairs, what should I find? In the song, when the child calls for his parents upon hearing the monster, the monster goes quiet and only starts his noise again after the parents have gone back to bed and it is then that the child realizes that the monster is really his sleeping dad. My monster turned out to be Keitel (our dog) lying at the top of the stairs, legs kicking, growling and snoring in the throes of a doggy nightmare.

This got me wondering what a dog's dream was like. Does he see images, hear sounds, smell? What is taking place in those dreams when the legs are kicking and he is growling? Does he remember his dreams when he wakes up? What triggers the nightmare versus the peaceful dream? Do other animals dreams?

No comments:

Post a Comment