Thursday, August 20, 2009

Summer In The City


One of the things that I like the most about where I am living is the wide variety of summer events. There are outdoor concerts, ranging from the back porch concerts, opera in the park, to symphony concerts on the square. There are art fairs and food festivals almost every weekend and within a short drive from here is the wonderful American Players Theater.

The city is situated on an isthmus between four lakes that offer swimming, boating, fishing, or just plain restful reflection. The city is a college town and as such the population fluctuates between the school year heavy with student "citizens" and the less frantic summer population of locals. Even with the absence of the major student population, the campus area bustles with activity in the summer.

All too soon summer will end and most activities will move indoors except for those for the winter hardy souls, of which I am not. It is during those long, cold, dark days that I find myself questioning my reasons for living here. I pull out some of my photos from the summer and remember...and hold on to that memory until springs rolls around...which Mother Nature might delay but eventually gives to us once more as the prelude of what is to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment