Saturday, July 17, 2010

Another Year Goes By


In a few short days I will be celebrating another birthday. Now I have never been big on birthday celebration which I think comes from a childhood where the family celebrated my birthday a day late so that they could combine it with a sister who was forced to celebrate hers a day early. Birthdays, therefore, were nothing special. I did celebrate my 21st but that was under pressure from friends and I must admit to not remembering too many details of that event.

When people ask me my age, I have to stop and do a quick calculation, which if the questioner is a doctor, is sure to give them pause. When forced to think of my age and I look around at many of the people I know who are around the same age I am staggered because I had not thought of them as my contemporary. With this said, I am a Boomer and this coming birthday is one which is celebrated with a song by the Beatles...and I wonder, "will you still love me?"

Since the Boomer generation started coming of age (funny how the children of the 60's are now in their 60's) I have spent some time looking at my generation,at what we have accomplished. And I must say that despite the fears of so many of our elders when we were enjoying our youth, I am proud of us, what as a generation we did. Now looking forward I can see that there is still so much to be done, wars are still being fought, the poor are still with us, racism still rears its head now and again, the environment is sorely in need of help. I can only hope that our generation does not take a back seat now, thinking that our work is done, but that we lean our full support of the younger generations and help them to shape a better world. To that I dedicate my coming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment