Thursday, July 8, 2010

Slow Road to Recovery

My accident was on April 20 of this year. At the time I felt very lucky that my injuries were no more than a broken rib, concussion, and lots of bruising and sore muscles. I have learned since then that even those injuries can have longer term affects on the body. The rib has healed. The headaches were gone after a week. The bruises faded away. The back, however, continues to remind me that it got slammed against some hard pavement and is not as forgiving as I would wish. Simple task like sweeping the floor or standing at the kitchen sink to wash dishes cause a shooting pain in the lower back. I love to walk and now find that after about half of my normal walk that the back is stating to complain with each step. My doctor told me that I had to expect this to take time. She reminded me that people who are in cars and suffer whiplash type injuries take months and sometimes years to get back to their pre-accident condition. And I was a pedestrian hit by a car and had nothing around my body to act as insulation. My age is now also a factor in how quickly I can recover so I am trying to come to grips with the slow progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment