Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Snail Mail


I just heard that the postal service plans to increase the cost of First Class mail again by 2 cents in January 2011. I glanced over at my supplies and I have a couple of sheets of Forever stamps which I will replenish before the increase. These stamps last me for quite some time as I do very little snail mail. Most of my bills are paid online and unlike in the past I send out very few holiday cards.The most common item in my mail, other than bills, seems to be advertising materials which go directly from the mail into my recycle bin.

Despite the beautiful cards and stationary that is available, not to mention the writing instruments that have come a long way in the area of comfort, I doubt that I will be using many stamps. Sad, I know!

I was never much of a letter writer, strange for someone who loves to write, but I find the physical task of taking pen to paper detrimental to the flow of words. Poor penmanship coupled with an injury to my writing hand makes this a task that I dislike. And there is something impersonal about a letter to a loved one that is not handwritten. Confused? Well, so am I as I feel that if you are going to take the time to put your words to a loved one on paper then you should make it more personal with it being handwritten.

Now the keyboard is a different story as the words flow and my fingers barely notice the task. I wish I was better at the art of letter writing as I do enjoy reading a well-written letter and feel somewhat selfish as I don't expend the same amount of thought in responding. I don't think I am alone in this disability as even the few letters that I receive tend to be more like notes.

As for the business letter or letter of complaint, those I can do with ease and have the skill of putting just the right amount of humor into my complaints or the right amount of righteous indignity to get results. The well written letter of complaint regarding products or services have over the years resulted in refunds, free products, etc. My letters to my Congressman or Senators have always garnered responses. Therefore, I can see spending the time and the stamp to get them delivered.

Perhaps if I work on the art of personal letter writing, looking at it much the same as my other writing rather than a "chore" I will start to send these out once more. I would like to think that I can accomplish this as a goal, something to add to my bucket list. For now, dear friends, you must know that I do care deeply as I put finger to keyboard and with a few quick strokes send my words flying your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment